A tutorial video for installing DOOM 2016 on Ubuntu 16.04 using Wine and PlayOnLinux. Includes Vulkan.
Recommended that you watch the video in at least 720p for clarity of text. I have included English subtitles to assist you, just enable it in CC.
This video is meant for beginners. You will need Steam account and a purchased copy of DOOM 2016.
1. Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
2. Open a terminal and install the following:
sudo apt-get install vulkan-utils
3. Download the Windows version of Steam.
4. Install PlayOnLinux 4.2.10.
5. In PlayOnLinux, Tools then Manage Wine Versions. Under AMD64, select 2.0-rc2-staging
6. Click the big install button in PlayOnLinux.
7. Install a non-listed program
8. Proceed through the installer, make sure to select 2.0-rc2-staging and a 64bit windows installation. Proceed to install the windows version of Steam.
9. Once Steam has successfully installed itself in PlayOnLinux, all you need to do is download DOOM and run it!
To force DOOM 2016 to run in Vulkan mode, add +r_renderAPI 1 to the Launch Options. Setting that to 0 will force it to launch in OpenGL mode.
Please make sure that your graphics card, and graphics driver supports Vulkan.
Download and purchase DOOM 2016 on Steam:
Download windows version of Steam:
My main computer rig specs:
CPU – Intel i7-4770 3.4Ghz
GPU – NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB (375.26)
RAM – 16GB DDR3 ADATA 1600MHz
OS – Ubuntu 16.04 64Bit/Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (Dual Boot)
Download Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 for free:
My small development blog:
I’m just a Malaysian, who loves Ubuntu and Linux, and more so gaming!